Mike White throws three TDs, leads Jets to victory in season debut against Chicago Bears – The Denver Post


Following their heartbreaking loss to the Patriots, the Jets were hoping for a better outing with a new face behind center.

Gang Green’s offense got on track, and it might have solved its quarterback issues in the process.

The Jets (7-4) rolled past the Bears (3-9) 31-10 on a rainy, overcast, 51-degree day at MetLife Stadium.

Mike White started for Zach Wilson, who was benched earlier this week after his poor performance against the Patriots last week. White completed 22-of-28 passes for 315 yards and three touchdowns. He was performing so well that fans throughout MetLife Stadium were chanting “Mike White, Mike White” at various times throughout the afternoon.

Wide receiver Garrett Wilson caught five passes for 95 yards and two touchdowns. Elijah Moore registered two receptions for 64 yards and his first touchdown catch of the season.

Trevor Siemian got the start in place of Justin Fields, who was inactive after separating his shoulder in the loss against the Falcons a week ago.

Siemian injured an oblique during warmups but still started for the Bears. Siemian completed 14-of-25 passes for 179 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

James Robinson was a healthy scratch as Zonovan “Bam” Knight was active. Knight led the Jets in rushing with 69 yards on 14 carries. Ty Johnson also had 62 yards and a touchdown on five carries.

Starting running back Michael Carter injured his ankle in the third quarter and did not return to the game. Despite Carter’s absence in the second half, the Jets still managed to rush for 158 yards.

The Jets defense held the Bears to 292 yards of total offense. They also sacked Siemian twice.

The Jets got the ball first to start the game and they went down the field and found the end zone. White completed 6-of-7 passes on the opening drive, resulting in an eight-yard touchdown to Garrett Wilson.

Chicago also scored on its first drive of the game. However, the Bears managed a 22-yard field goal from Cairo Santos after the Jets defense allowed a 33-yard reception by Darrynton Evans and a 26-yard catch by David Montgomery.

Following a Jets punt, the Bears went 71 yards on nine plays to score their first touchdown. Chase Claypool’s catches of 20 and 31 yards put the Bears inside the Jets’ red zone. Then a speculator catch by Byron Pringle over D.J. Reed gave Chicago a 10-7 lead in the second quarter.

Later in the same quarter, after a Bears punt, White threw his second touchdown pass to Wilson as Gang Green retook the lead 14-10. Then right before the end of the first half, Jets kicker Greg Zuerlein converted a 57-yard field that increased the Jets lead to 17-10.

Once the halftime break concluded, the rain continued to come down harder. Neither offense could get on track as both teams punted to begin the second half.

After a second Bears punt, the Jets scored their third touchdown as White completed a 22-yard pass to Moore, which increased Gang Green’s lead to 24-10.

The Green and White continued to pour it on late in the third quarter as Johnson’s 32-yard touchdown run put the team up 31-10. The Jets had an opportunity to add to their lead in the fourth quarter, but Zuerlein missed a 53-yard field goal.

As the Bears were looking to make the score more respectful late in the fourth quarter, linebacker C.J. Mosley intercepted Siemian’s pass on the three-yard line, which was the cherry on top for the Jets defense.

The Jets will begin a string of back-to-back games on the road next week as they will travel to Minneapolis to take on the Vikings. The Bears will host the Packers at Soldier Field.



Source link