If the NBA calls, Bones Hyland is in.
Hyland told The Denver Post this week that he’d love to participate in the NBA’s 3-point contest at next month’s All-Star weekend in Salt Lake City.
“I do, for sure,” he said. “If it happens, it happens. I want to win it. I want to be in it.”
Hyland, according to a league source, was on a preliminary list of players the league was considering inviting to the competition. All-Star weekend will take place next month from Feb. 17-19.
“If it happens, that’ll be dope,” he said.
Last season, Minnesota big man Karl-Anthony Towns won the 3-point contest among the eight-man field. The rest of the participants included Trae Young, C.J. McCollum, Zach LaVine, Desmond Bane, Fred VanVleet, Luke Kennard and Patty Mills.
Hyland’s shooting nearly 42% from 3-point range so far this season on over six attempts per game. As a team, the Nuggets are the best 3-point shooting team in the NBA at 40%. Hyland’s third on the team behind Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (48%) and Vlatko Cancar (47.5%), so the NBA could have its pick of shooters from Denver. Michael Porter Jr. is fourth at over 40% from beyond the arc.
Regardless of whether Hyland gets the invite or not for the 3-point contest, he said he intended to be in Salt Lake City for the rookie-sophomore game, which he participated in last season in Cleveland.
“I think I’m gonna go,” he said, though an official invite might not have been formalized quite yet.
“I know I’m invited,” he said with a laugh.
Want more Nuggets news? Sign up for the Nuggets Insider to get all our NBA analysis.