Berberine supplements are a hot topic in the health world right now. Berberine is a natural supplement that has been shown to potentially have many health benefits, including reducing blood sugar levels and helping to control diabetes. These supplements are made from the berberis vulgaris plant, which is native to Europe, Asia, and North America, and are available in pill form or as a liquid extract. Some of the best berberine supplement choices can be found online.
Ways to Take Berberine
There are many ways to take berberine supplements, and each has its benefits.
- Capsules are easy to carry with you and can be taken with or without food.
- Liquid berberine supplements are absorbed more quickly by the body than capsules, so they may be a good choice if you need immediate results. They are also less likely to cause digestive issues than capsules.
- Teas made with berberine-rich herbs are a great way to get the benefits of berberine without taking a supplement. Herbal teas can be found at most health food stores.
- Berberine powder can be added to smoothies, juices, or other drinks. It is also possible to bake with berberine powder, although the results may not be as potent as other forms.
- Tinctures are concentrated liquid extracts of berberine that are taken by droppers. They are a good choice for those who want to avoid taking capsules or powders.
Benefits of Berberine Supplements
Berberine supplements can potentially help to lower blood sugar levels. In a study published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, berberine was shown to be effective in lowering blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
These types of supplements can also help to improve insulin sensitivity. A study published in the Journal of Endocrinological Investigation found that berberine improved insulin sensitivity in people with type 2 diabetes.
There is also a school of thought that berberine supplements help to lower cholesterol levels. A published study that is in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology found that berberine was effective in lowering cholesterol levels in people with high cholesterol.
It would appear that berberine also appears to help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Many sufferers will gain comfort from knowing the above but it is for people to try themselves to see how berberine can help them. Also, to check out with health professionals to find out their views on the long-term benefits of taking this supplement in one form or another.
When taking berberine supplements, it is important to drink plenty of water. Berberine can cause constipation, so it is important to stay hydrated when taking this supplement.
Always follow the instructions on the label when taking any kind of medication or supplement, whether that is by prescription, over-the-counter, or from a reputable online source. Supplements are most effective and mean fewer side effects when taken correctly.
Take With Food
You should also take berberine supplements with food. Taking berberine on an empty stomach can cause gastrointestinal upset.
Again, this is about following the guidance given to not cause yourself any unnecessary problems.
While berberine supplements are generally considered to be safe, as with any supplement, it is always best to speak with a healthcare professional before starting to take them, particularly if you have any existing health conditions. It can be a case of knowing if they are compatible with another medicine or supplement that you are already taking. Those who prescribed your existing medicine will be the best to ask as well as pharmacists.
Berberine supplements have been shown to provide a variety of health benefits for those with diabetes. These supplements can help regulate blood sugar levels, increase insulin sensitivity, and improve overall health. If you are living with diabetes, berberine supplements may be worth considering as part of your treatment plan.